Sue Lewis-Blake SGFA
Click to view larger image and details:
BA [Hons] Visual Art, and MA Painting from University of Wales
Art Teachers’ Certificate, Goldsmiths’ College, London
Sketches from direct observation evolve into sequences of paintings as the impact of a chosen subject is explored through a range of compositions and media.
Observational studies develop fluidly, using a wide range of individual or mixed media. Sequences of work emerge as the aesthetic impact of a chosen subject is explored. Sometimes a two-dimensional drawing will evolve into a mixed media collage, the collage then growing into a relief or even fully into three dimensions.
Paintings have been exhibited in the UK, France and Germany, and are now in numerous private collections. Commissions, residencies and opportunities have resulted in works being on permanent display in venues as diverse as JD Weatherspoons “Spon Gate”, Coventry and the National Trust’s Orangery at Charlecote Park.
In addition to successful one-person exhibitions, paintings have been selected for inclusion in prestigious shows at Derby, Birmingham and Stafford Museums as well as at the Royal Watercolour Society, Royal Birmingham Society of Artists and St David’s Hall Cardiff. Full membership in the Society of Graphic Fine Art is a mark of the importance placed on drawing in all its forms.
Considerable teaching experience, including serving as a member of the Independent Schools’ Inspectorate, encompassed history of art as well as fine art and design technology. Far from being an intrusion, this career has supported personal artistic development. The two activities are regarded as interconnected and mutually beneficial.
- 1997, 2003, 2008, 2011 & 2013 The Coach House Gallery, Guernsey
- 2004 The Owen Taylor Gallery, Warwick
- 2008, 2009 & 2011 Charlecote Park, Warwick
- John Laing Competition
- Birmingham Botanical Gardens
- 1999/2000 Christmas Exhibitions, St. David’s Hall, Cardiff
- Autumn 2001 exhibition at Thompson’s Gallery, Stow on the Wold
- June 2005 Little London Gallery, Holloway, Derbyshire Open Exhibition [prize winner]
- August 2005 “Paper Chase” exhibition, Nature In Art, Gloucester [in conjunction with an exhibition of Matisse’s paper cuts
- 2009 – 2014 annual exhibitions, Society of Graphic Fine Artists, Menier Gallery, London
- December 2010 – January 2011 Warwick Museum
- 2012 Broadway Arts, Little Buckland Gallery, Broadway.
- 2012 Atelier Ubede, Luneburg, Germany.
- 2013 “Pathways” Mitchell Gallery, Warwick.
- 2015 “‘Scapes” Stafford Museum and Art Gallery.
- Nature in Art, Gloucester October 2006
- Charlecote Park, Warwickshire 2008-9
Works have been accepted for open exhibitions at:
- Royal Birmingham Society of Artists
- Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery
- Birmingham Botanical Gardens
- “Not the Royal Academy”, Llewelyn Alexander gallery, London
- The Royal Watercolour Society
- Society of Graphic Fine Artists
- Derby City Art Gallery
Works may currently be seen at:
- Charlecote Park Orangery [National Trust], Charlecote, Warwickshire
- The Coach House Gallery, Les Islets, St Pierre du Bois, Guernsey