GOVERNANCE AND MEMBERSHIP
President since February 2014: Jackie Devereux PSGFA
Council of 11 Members, meets regularly in London.
As of January 2017 we have 139 members: 20 Honorary Members, 79 Full Members and 40 Associate Members.
Members are UK-wide, and include those based in continental Europe.
Well-known current Members are:
Victor Ambrus ARCA, RE, FRSA, Hon. SGFA
David Brooke NAPA, BSA, BA, PPSGFA, Hon. SGFA
Fred Cuming RA, D Litt, Hon SGFA
Prof Ken Howard OBE, RA, Hon. SGFA
Maz Jackson STA, TIA, SGFA
Valerie Warren RBA, FSAI, BAS, SWA, Hon. SGFA
The Society of Graphic Fine Art exists to promote fine art drawing skills, and to exhibit works of art that demonstrate these skills.
Artwork eligible for our exhibitions includes drawings in any medium (such as pencils, coloured pens and pencils, pen and ink, pastels and oil pastels, charcoal, conté and other media), as well as any original artwork, including paintings, which demonstrate evidence of drawing by hand (for example, original printmaking, watercolours and acrylics).
Works of art that are NOT eligible are those which show no evidence of drawing (for example, pure watercolours, pure oil paintings, unglazed acrylics or digital imagery generated by computer), nor do we exhibit giclée prints or any other reproductions or facsimiles.
Full Members are entitled to use the letters SGFA after their name, and Associate Members ASGFA.
Founded in 1919 to “proclaim the value of good draughtsmanship”.
Famous past members included Sir Frank Brangwyn [1st President], Ronald Searle, Dame Laura Knight; past exhibitors include John Piper, Arthur Rackham, Felix Topolski.
Annual Open Exhibition
DRAW 17: 95th Annual Open Exhibition – Menier Gallery, 51 Southwark Street, London, SE1 1RU
2-14 October 2017.
- RK Burt – 2-13 April 2018
- Hull University Gallery – 2018 (dates to be confirmed)
- Birmingham – in the RSBA Gallery – 6-18 May 2019
- Bankside Biennial/CENTENARY – 4-16 June2019
- UCLH London February 2 March 22
- Black Swan Gallery Frome March 4-24
- Chesterfield January 21 to March 31
- Grierson Galleries Seven Oaks May 9-20
- RKBurt London April 25 to May 5
- Bankside London June 5-18
- Addenbrooks Hospital August 17 to October 5
- Draw 17 London October 2-14
- West Acre Theatre Norfolk November 14 to January 5
- Drawing on Location at The Refectory, Southwark Cathedral – London SE1 9DA, 16 January – 11 March
- Paper Works at R K Burt Gallery – 61 Union Street, London SE1 1SG 05 – 15 April
- Drawn Together at Bankside Gallery – 48 Hopton Street, London SE1 9JH, 30 June – 5 July
- Paper Works at R K Burt Gallery – 61 Union Street, London SE1 1SG, 14 – 24 April
- Hand Drawn at the Barbican – Barbican Library, London EC2Y 8DS, 7 – 29 January
- Paper Works at the R K Burt Gallery – 61 Union Street, London SE1 1SG, 8 – 18 July
- Hand Drawn at Tower 42 – 25 Old Broad Street, London EC2N 1HQ, 2 Sept – 19 October
- Gallery 1 at The World of Glass – St Helens, Merseyside WA10 1BX, 23 March – 19 May
- SGFA Southwest at the Octagon Theatre – Hendford, Yeovil, 26 June – 22 July
- Paper Works at the R K Burt Gallery – 61 Union Street, London SE1 1SG, 15 – 26 July
- Stone’s Throw at The Refectory, Southwark Cathedral – London SE1 9DA
- SGFA Southwest at the Meeting House Gallery, Illminster, TA19 0AN, 16 – 28 April
- Paper Works at the R K Burt Gallery – 61 Union Street, London SE1 1SG, 3 – 13 July
Web site www.sgfa.org.uk